Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Tips For Creating Your Own Style

As many of you may know I love fashion and style, it's been my favorite thing since I was about 7 years old. I used to have my own designs in my drawing pad and I even wanted to go to FIDM for a hot second when I was contemplating MAYBE going to college. But now I'm a hairstylist and I love what I do and I still get to be creative and still work in the fashion industry! I love that fashion is a way of expression, it's art and it can be collected. Some people collect Pokemon...I collect clothes...and teacups (fun face about me). 

For me my style is a way of self expression and for other people's inspiration. And that's what the cool thing about style is, is seeing something that you like and mimicking it in your own way. That's why I love thift stores or getting things that not many people have. It makes it original and it inspires on lookers such as myself. 


Below are 5 tips to help find your own personal style and help you present yourself your own way to the world!

1. Wear What Makes You Feel The Best

A lot of times I see people wearing things that I think look really cool like the whole Adidas trend that has resurrected from the 90s. I love athletic inspired outfits but I think look really silly in them because that's not what I feel most comfortable in. It just isn't my NATURAL style, I always gravitate towards 70s bohemian or grunge (wow what a combo right? Haha) and I would say that's my style because those are the pieces that I always pick out naturally. You're going to look uncomfortable and unnatural in something that you don't feel your best in. 

2. Brand Yourself

I feel like it's important to find one accessory or article of clothing that trademarks your look. I would say mine is a wide brim hat and tons of rings. Weather yours be stripes, statement jewelry, even a certain color theme, high heels, it can be anything! What is that one thing that you almost always incorporate in your look? It will brand you and when people see something similar and say "that looks like (your name here)". 

3. Finding The Odd Man Out

Go through your wardrobe and reevaluate what can stay and what needs to go. I have to remember what style I'm going for and how I want to present myself to the world. You have to find those pieces that just doesn't go with the vibe of everything else in your closet. For example if you have a lot of neutral colored blouses and then you've got one shirt that's hot pink with little yellow hearts all over it...(really bad example) it's probably not going to look like it's you because it stands out so much of what you already own. Make sure all your pieces vibe together. 

4. Your Go To Outfits

Take pictures of outfits you're really feelin yourself in. Common...you know those days. You probably end up taking a pictures anyway and posting it on Instagram #bodypositive and #feelinmyself. Take Polaroids (that's really expensive) or photos and put them all in the same album on your phone. This will come in handy for those days that are just rough and you feel like you don't look good in anything. Ya know 12 outfits later and you still leave the house not feeling comfortable with how you look...trust me you are not alone. If you take pictures of your favorite outfits it will help you on those bad days to just be able to put on a "good outfit" in a rush.

5. Best For Your Body

For myself I try and find things that will accentuate certain features. My legs are long and I love a good pant that will make my legs look EXTRA long and thin. For example I will never wear pants that are way too tight. I can not have any sort of muffin top or double butt going on in the back of my pants. We all love skinny jeans right? But if you see any thing trying to force its way out of any piece of clothing...just say no. Don't buy it and if you already own it get rid of it. It's more flattering on your body to wear things that fit properly on your shape. Sometimes this may be hard to evaluate for yourself what looks best on your body because a lot of us struggle with loving our bodies. But your body is beautiful! Bring an HONEST friend with you when you go shopping to find things that fit nicely and will accentuate your best feature(s)....trust me you have good features even if you don't think you do. 


Thank you for reading and I hope my tips helped you on your journey to finding your personal style! 

Go out, create and be true to yourself!

"Don't let anyone make you be who you aren't. Stay true to yourself at all time. Even when it's not trendy." -Unknown

What I Am Wearing

Lady Roulette Fedora Hat - Goorin Bros. 
V Neck Crop Top - Urban Outfitters
Black Highwaisted Jeans - Urban Outfitters
Gorjana Mika Lariat Necklace - Rocks Box (use code gracebff165 for a free month)
Belt - Thrift Store
Boots - Thrift Store



Photography by Kiersten Fienning













No comments:

MyDarlingLight. Powered by Blogger.