Saturday, February 28, 2015

NYC + ME

I spent almost a week and a half in the blistering tundra! Okay it was actually NYC but it might as well have been because it was frickin' cold! After living almost all my life in Colorado I don't think I have ever experienced anything as cold as NYC was this last week.

Fashion Week seemed a lot different this year. It was the same in the sense that we made more relationships and got to pray for many people, but it was different because we actually started to see fruit coming from relationships we had made and built up from past seasons. We've had Models For Christ teams doing outreach at New York Fashion week for 7 seasons now and it's amazing to see that with prayer, faithfulness, hard work and a little bit of patience we are able to see a bigger picture of how God is working in the hearts of fashion professionals around the globe.

There is always so much to tell so I will try and not make this a novel and just share a couple cool things about the week. So like every season a small team and myself were able to share Gods love with models backstage and encourage them and give them love, care and compassion. In this industry it's sad to say that those expressions don't really exist, so a lot of the time these small gestures seem very out of the ordinary and are received with some confusion but more gratitude than anything. A lot of the time we bring models we work with $5 gift cards to Starbucks to bless them and give them a little extra caffeine boost in their busy week! We always make lasting connections with girls we work with backstage.

I got to do hair the last day of fashion week, I didn't tell anyone but that was pretty cool! We also got to give out flowers at Lincoln Center with encouraging bible verses on Valentines Day. We also prayed for lots of people and for an array of different things. It's funny because after I take someones photo outside of Lincoln Center in their cute outfit (because that's what you do) I get their social media info and often times ask them if there is anything that they need prayer for? A lot of people cock their head to one side and look really confused. Some people prefer that I don't and/or get really uncomfortable and leave as soon as possible like I was some Jehovah Witness knocking at their front door. But then there are the occasional people who really love it and are blessed by the fact that someone actually cares enough to take the time to ask them if they need anything rather than just talk to them about "who they are wearing". It takes a lot being the weird girl sometimes especially in a place like New York City, and even though I seem weird to most people it makes my heart explode when I get the occasional person that get's to experience God and is really touched by me stepping out of my comfort zone. I learned over and over on this trip that it's okay to be the weird girl that asks the things that no one else will. Even when I'm rejected by bloggers I follow on Instagram with a bazillion followers, knowing I made just one persons day makes freezing my buns off in 7 degree weather so worth it!

I also came to realize on this trip that it is okay to be me and that I don't have to wear this "little missionary mask" and sound really spiritual, or say things a certain way, or try and talk sweeter and add inflection to my voice to make me sound nicer (because I'm so monotone). I don't need to do any of these things! I felt like I wasn't being genuine, even though my intentions were genuine, I wasn't genuinely being ME! I was being fake, and I don't wanna be fake, in fact I hate fake and I think it's one of the worst qualities someone could have. I read this passage three days into my trip, "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things- and the things that are not- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God- that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord." -1 Corinthians 1:31
I had known this but of course we humans forget things pretty easily and have to be reminded time and time again (or maybe that's just me) that I don't have to be anyone else other than me! Because God created me to be all that I am! And He sent me on this trip to do exactly what I did and He equipped me with all that I needed. I didn't need to be more and I didn't need to be any less. It was refreshing knowing that all I had to do was be me and simply pour out the love God has so generously put in my heart that overflows and that I get to give that love to others!

Thank you to everyone who prayed for me and my travels and thank you to everyone who provided financially to this outreach! I couldn't have been there without you! <3

Grace xo



On top of the world in the new Freedom Tower working backstage at the Gabriela Cadena Show
This is Joey he had my favorite outfit during fashion week // @houndandtail
Selfies with Lauren + Jessica
MFC volunteers giving flowers with encouraging bible verses on Valentines Day
@meg_legs + @lovebylynn

@lfmazariegos

@theeyetravels
@devotedlyyours


@uniccfun



The model I worked with backstage at Rodebjer // Courtesy of Rodebjer



Brooklyn Vibes




Last day of fashion week I got to do hair + got loads of goodies from FHI 



Karen Walker // Courtesy of Style.com
Shannon + I after working the Karen Walker show







No comments:

MyDarlingLight. Powered by Blogger.